District 191 uses an emergency notification system to communicate with families and staff in the event of an emergency or severe weather event that affects the school day. The contact information used is synced with the district's student information system. Parents may update their information through their ParentVUE account or by contacting your child's school directly.
When severe weather affects the school day, District 191 does everything it can to keep families in the know.
- Alerts will be posted on the District and all school websites
- Announcements will be posted to Facebook and Twitter accounts
- Information will be relayed through local television and radio stations
- A phone call will be delivered to all phone numbers on file for all students
- An email announcement will be delivered to all email addresses on file for all students
- A text message will be sent to parents who opt in (send "Subscribe" to 68453 to receive text messages)
Closures due to cold weather
School will be canceled if the National Weather Service forecast for 6 a.m. on the following morning shows an air temperature of below -25 degrees Fahrenheit OR a wind chill of below -35 degrees Fahrenheit.
Other Emergency Notifications
In the event of all emergencies, including those not due to weather, student safety is always the district's top priority. The district will do everything it can to communicate with the families of the students involved in an accurate and timely manner, and through the channels (phone, email, text, social media, etc.) it deems appropriate depending on the circumstances of the emergency.